Did you know it was National Bird Feeding Month? Neither did I. If I hadn't been searching for the exact dates of 2012 National Pancake Week (Feb 19-25, fyi), I may have missed it altogether which would have been a bummer, what with me being in the bird feeding business and all. Anyway,in light of the designated month, here are FIVE reasons you should be feeding birds today:
1. It improves your mental attitude. Cold weather and dreary days can wreak havoc on the sunshiniest of personalities. Hang a few small bird feeders around your yard, though, and you might be surprised at how it lifts your spirits. Maybe it's just the distraction from a daily routine, but watch a few moments of that little 'flock of crazy' hanging around your window and if you aren't careful, you may find the corners of your mouth creeping upward.
2. It takes you outdoors. Even if it's only for a few moments, when you have to reload the thistle feeder or fill up that bird feeder sock, it makes you go outside...and that's a good thing. It's not exactly a 'workout,' but it sure beats riding that Baraclounger as a calorie burner.
3. It makes you notice. Our lives are filled with things requiring our attention, immediately. Most of them ring, buzz, flash or vibrate so demandingly we start believing that's what's important. So when things like air quality, clean water, or the plight of other life that shares this planet -- the things our lives actually hinge on -- start feeling less important, take a breath. What's that quote? "Enjoy the little things, for one day you may find they were the big things."
4. It helps the birds. This time of year when plants are dormant and the weather is harsh, birds can use a little leg up on finding food. What the heck, buy 'em dinner this month.
5. It puts people to work. Seriously, do you think those great Mr Canary® bird feeders build themselves? So, you get wellness benefits AND stoke the fires of economic recovery when you feed birds. Win/win, right?
Pancakes, bird feeding, presidents -- February is a month chock full of reasons to celebrate, so don't miss any. In fact if you're thinking of taking my advice to heart, don't miss any chance to celebrate. Ever.